Why should I consider external wall insulation?
Perhaps you have installed cavity wall insulation but are looking for a bigger impact, or maybe you live in a solid walled property. We recommend external wall insulation for a number of reasons;
- Save energy and therefore save money on bills
- Improves the external appearance of home
- Improves the acoustics within your home – sound proofing
- Takes up no internal floor space
- Keeps home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer (many people report that their houses stay so warm that they hardly need to turn the heating on)
- Prevents damp and condensation
- Prolongs the life of your building – protects against extremes of weather
- Can increase the value of your property in terms of external appearance and Energy Performance Certificate Rating
- Low maintenance and long lasting
A quick run through of the main stages of installation:
First, the wall is prepared to make sure the insulation system will stick. It should be possible to install our insulation system on top of existing render or pebbledash, but at this point a substrate check will need to be done. Next, the surface is primed and this needs to set for 24 hours. A starter track is attached to the wall above the damp proof course to support the insulation boards. They are then attached with adhesive and double-fixed with mechanical fixings. Fibreglass mesh is used to reinforce the system and then the wall is rendered and a topcoat applied. Each part of the system is designed to minimise cold bridging and maximise efficiency.
Can I choose the materials?
All the steps work together to create an effective, attractive and long-lasting system. It’s a customisable system – the householder can choose between three insulation materials: mineral wool, expanded polystyrene (EPS) or extruded polystyrene (XPS) boards. Mineral wool is durable, breathable and highly fire retardant. Polystyrene insulation is cheap and a fantastic insulator, so a thinner layer can be added to achieve the same results as a larger amount of mineral wool.
There is also a choice of render, tailored to different environments, as well as options for the final colour and texture of the walls.
How much does external wall insulation cost?
Fill in our calculator to find out approximate costs of materials or give us a call and we can put you in touch with one of our approved installers who will be able to carry out the work for you to the highest standard. All our installers are given full training and we offer a free aftercare service for customers.