Why should I consider external wall insulation?
Perhaps you have installed cavity wall insulation but are looking for a more significant impact, or maybe you live in a solid-walled property.
However, as EWI Store, we recommend external wall insulation for several crucial reasons:
- To save energy and therefore save more money on bills
- Improves the external appearance of a house
- Enhances the acoustics within your home – soundproofing
- It takes up no internal floor space- more room
- Also, it keeps the property warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer (many people report that their houses stay so warm that they hardly need to turn the heating on)
- Prevents dampness and also condensation
- Prolongs the life of your building – protects against extremes of weather conditions
- Can increase the value of your property in terms of external appearance and Energy Performance Certificate Rating
- Low maintenance and long-lasting
A quick run through of the main stages of installation:
Firstly, the wall is prepared to ensure the insulation system will stick for the external wall insulation enactment. It should be possible to install our insulation system on the existing render or pebbledash. But, at this point, a substrate check will need to be done. You should then prime the surface. After, you need to set the surface for 24 hours. A starter track is attached to the wall above the damp proof course to support the insulation boards. Then, connected with adhesive and double-fixed with mechanical fixings. Used to reinforce the system, fibreglass mesh enhances the system. Also, the wall is rendered and a topcoat is applied. Moreover, the external wall insulation put into minimising cold bridging and maximising efficiency.
Can I choose the materials?
All the steps work together to create an effective, attractive and long-lasting system. Also, the external wall insulation is a customisable system. The householder can choose between four insulation materials: Kingspan K5, mineral wool, expanded polystyrene (EPS) or extruded polystyrene (XPS) boards.
Firstly, mineral wool is durable, breathable and highly fire retardant. Polystyrene insulation is cheap and a fantastic insulator. Therefore, a thinner layer can be added to achieve the same results as a more considerable amount of mineral wool. There is also a choice of render, tailored to different environments, and options for the final colour and texture of the walls.
How much does external wall insulation cost?
Please fill out our materials calculator to find out more about the approximate costs of materials. You can also give us a call, and we can put you in touch with one of our approved installers who will be able to carry out the work for you to the highest standard. All our installers have full training, and we offer a free aftercare service for customers.
Check out our video with TheGreenAge, all about installing external wall insulation!