EWI-040 Silicone Silicate Render
The EWI Pro Silicone Silicate Render is our most popular through-coloured, polymer-modified, decorative render. This coloured render is breathable, flexible, hydrophobic and self-cleaning. Our Silicone Silicate is often used in the final stage of EWI Pro external wall insulation systems, or as a standalone topcoat render, provided the basecoat reinforcement layer is used as well. EWI-040 is available in hundreds of different colours.
EWI-040 is a decorative, thin-coat render and is available in 1.5mm grain size. It is suitable for interior or exterior surfaces but works best when applied on top of a reinforcement layer as part of our thin-coat render or insulation systems.
This product not only provides an aesthetically pleasing finish, but it also acts as a strong protective coating for the property, helping protect the underlying brickwork against weathering. This product is also breathable, so is perfect when used in conjunction with Mineral Wool EWI systems.
- High elasticity
- High vapour permeability
- Resistant to UV rays
- Available in 4 different grain sizes
As mentioned, the Silicone Silicate Render is a ready-mix render, so it can be used straight out of the bucket and does not require mixing with water. However, we do recommend giving the render a mix prior to use to ensure an even distribution of the colour pigments. Before application, always check that the colour of the render matches your order prior to application.
Apply the render to the substrate using a trowel and then use a plastic float to generate the required texture. Remember that this is a thin coat render system, so the thickness of the render layer should match the grain size of the render chosen.
Silicone Silicate Render Application Conditions
- Intended for application onto an EWI Pro specified basecoat
- Substrate primers: EWI-301 Water Based Primer
- Basecoat primers: EWI-333 Render Primer
- Application and setting temperature (air, substrate, materials): from +5°C to +25°C.
- Grain size distribution: 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm and 3 mm.
- Caution! In the case of external wall insulation systems, when rendering facades with a large area, it is recommended that colours with a brightness coefficient (dispersed reflection) of at least 25% should be used. These coefficients are shown in the colour pallet of EWI Pro Insulation Systems renders and paints.
Silicone Silicate Coverage Rates
- 1.0mm – 1.9kg/m². One bucket should cover 12–13m²
- 1.5mm – 2.4kg/m². One bucket should cover 9–10m²
- 2.0mm – 3.4kg/m². One bucket should cover 6-8m²
- 3.0mm – 5.0kg/m². One bucket should cover 5-6m²
Comes ready-to-use in a 25kg plastic tub.
Store in a cool, dry place. Shelf life: up to 12 months from the date of manufacture. Please note: In order to tint the product we break the seal. We therefore do not accept returns on tinted items. Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and mix regularly. Colours from different batches may vary, to avoid inconsistencies mix tubs together prior to application.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What colours can I choose from for Silicone Render?
You can choose from any of our standard colours. We can also tint Silicone Render to any RAL, NCS, or Pantone colours resulting in thousands of colour choices.
- What grain sizes can you choose from?
For EWI-075, you can choose from 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, and 3mm. For EWI-076, you can choose from 1 and 1.5mm. For EWI-40 and EWI-077, you can only choose 1.5mm. However, we can cater to special requests, but this will result in a longer lead time.
- Are all your Silicone Renders breathable?
Yes, all our Silicone Renders are highly breathable. This makes it ideal for application on external wall insulation systems where breathable insulants have been used. For example, Mineral Wool or Wood Fibre insulation.
- Is Silicone Render ready to use?
Yes, Silicone Render buckets are ready for immediate application; however, we recommend that you mix the bucket with a paddle mix as this ensures that colour pigments are evenly distributed.
- Can I paint over Silicone Render?
You can paint over all our Silicone Renders using either Silicone Paint or Premium Bio Paint.