EWI-269 Lightweight Basecoat
EWI-269 Lightweight basecoat is a breathable, heritage-friendly basecoat. Once dry, the basecoat provides a strong, flexible and waterproof layer. Since our Lightweight Basecoat can be applied in a thick layer, it is ideal for use with our Orange Fibreglass Mesh. This mesh is best-suited to thick coat renders and plasters.
The Lightweight Basecoat can be applied internally or externally on the following substrates:
- Ziegel Blockwork e.g. Porotherm, Thermoplan, Juwo blocks & Poroton Block;
- Autoclaved aerated concrete blocks e.g. Ytong;
- Calcium Silicate blocks;
- Stone e.g. Sandstone, limestone and natural stone;
- Solid brick walls.
Please note that this basecoat is not for use with insulation products.
Using an electric paddle mix, mix the EWI-269 25kg dry mix bag with 5 litres of clean, potable water. We recommend that you mix the basecoat for 2-3 minutes to achieve the required consistency. Once mixed, the product is then ready for use. Once the mixture has hardened, you should not remix the Lightweight Basecoat with fresh material.
You should then use a plastering trowel or spray machine to apply the basecoat to the substrate. Depending on the desired finish, you can apply the basecoat in a single pass or in multiple layers. The maximum recommended depth of a single pass of the Lightweight Basecoat is 25mm.
- Substrate primer: EWI- 301 or EWI-310 if a key is required.
- Application temperature (air, substrate, materials): from +5°C to +25°C
- Water mix proportions: approx. 5 litres of water per 25 kg of dry mix
- Time of usability after mixing with water: approx. 2 hours (temp. +20°C)
- Quantity to be used: approx. 4-5 kg/m2
Lightweight Basecoat Technical Specifications
- Composition: Portland cement, hydrated lime, mineral fillers (including perlite), admixtures
- Density once set: Approx 1.2 g/m3 class LW1
- Density of fresh mortar: Approx 1.5 g/m3
- Air content: Approx 29%
- Compressive Strength after 28 days: CSII
- Thermal conductivity coefficient (λ) (tabular value):• 0.47 W/m*K
- Water vapour diffusion factor: 7.8
- Reaction to fire: A1
- Grain size distribution: up to 1.25mm
- Adhesion to substrate and symbol of cracking model:≥ 0.4 MPa; FP: B
- Capillary water absorption: category W0
Lightweight Basecoat Storage conditions
Comes in powder form in a 25kg paper bag.
Store in a cool, dry place. Avoid ingress of water. Shelf life: up to 12 months from the date of manufacture.