EWI-225 Premium Basecoat
Premium Basecoat is breathable, high strength and durable. EWI-225 is EWIPro’s finest basecoat adhesive, and can be used for a range of solutions. For example, this product is ideal as a basecoat/adhesive for Mineral Wool, Kingspan K5 and Wood Fibre insulation boards, or as a render-only solution for a range of substrates, including render carrier board. The adhesive contains white Portland cement – making it stronger than other basecoat adhesives (EWI-220 and EWI-210). Once the basecoat has dried it provides an incredibly strong and flexible reinforcement layer; we therefore highly recommend this product for ‘render only’ systems.
You can use our Premium Basecoat for the following two purposes:
- An adhesive used to create the reinforcement basecoat layer in render only or Mineral Wool, EPS, Kingspan K5 and Wood Fibre EWI systems
- An adhesive used to fix Mineral Wool (Rockwool) to a substrate.
Premium Basecoat is prepared in the same way regardless of whether it is being used as a basecoat or an adhesive for fixing the Mineral Wool insulation boards to the substrate. The Premium Basecoat comes as a dry mix in 25kg so needs to be mixed with clean, cold water ( >5.9 litres) prior to use. We suggest filling a large bucket with the correct quantities of water prior to adding the dry basecoat mixture. Use a paddle mix to mix the basecoat with water until you have achieved an even consistency mortar. Leave the bucket for 5-10 minutes after mixing, and then mix again before using the adhesive.
If using the Premium Basecoat for the basecoat layer, apply the basecoat using a 10mm notched trowel to the substrate. Then embed overlapping pieces of Fibreglass Mesh – the mesh should sit within the middle of the basecoat layer. Once embedded the basecoat layer should be 6mm in total.
If using the Premium Basecoat to fix insulation boards to the substrate, there are two application options. For example, the product can either be applied to the whole surface of the insulation board using a notched trowel, or applied to the perimeter of the insulation board with 3 dabs across the middle.
- Primer: EWI-301 or EWI-310 if a key is required
- Application temperature (air, substrate, materials): from +5°C to 25°C
- Time of usability after mixing with water: approx. 2 hours (temp. +20°C)
- Water mix proportions: approx. >5.9 litres of water per 25 kg of dry mix
- Quantity to be used:
- Fixing insulation panels of foamed polystyrene and reinforced layer on foamed polystyrene: approx. 4-5 kg/m2
- Fixing insulation panels of Mineral Wool and reinforced layer on Mineral Wool: approx. 5-6 kg/m2
Storing Premium Basecoat
Comes in powder form in a 25kg paper bag. Store in a cool, dry place. Avoid ingress of water. Shelf life: up to 12 months from the date of manufacture.
Premium Basecoat Coverage Rates
- Basecoat/Adhesive – 25kg/2.5m2
- (Brick/block) – 25kg/2.5m2
- (RCB) – 25kg/3-3.5m2
- (Insulation) – 25kg/3-3.5m2