Noise pollution can be incredibly frustrating. Whether it’s from road traffic, railway networks, aircraft or just plain old noisy neighbours, measures can be taken to increase the soundproofing capabilities of your home.
External wall insulation (EWI) is excellent for soundproofing. Not only does EWI improve the thermal performance of your property, but certain types of insulation can also dramatically improve the acoustics of a building. We’re going to be talking a bit about the negative impact of noise pollution on human health, and which external wall insulation system is best for preventing this.
What are the effects of noise pollution?
Noise pollution has proven to significantly affect children, adults and the elderly. According to research carried out by Rockwool, noise pollution can cause stress and fatigue due to disturbed sleep patterns. In turn, this can lead to health problems and a slower rate of development for children.
The Best Insulation for Soundproofing
If you live in a solid wall property, it’s unlikely that your home will be adequately soundproofed. This is because, generally, homes are built with insulation in the walls (cavity wall insulation) that absorbs the sound and protects the house against noise pollution. EWI is a great choice if you live in a solid wall property, or even if your property just needs an extra soundproofing boost.
Mineral Wool insulation is the best one to go for if soundproofing is a concern. Renowned for having excellent insulating capabilities, the insulation not only reduces the amount of noise entering your home but is also all the more effective due to the fact that it is installed externally. The entire insulation system seamlessly envelopes the house and is, therefore, a highly effective solution against sound pollution. We recommend using the Mineral Wool insulation at a thickness greater than 200mm.
Of course, with a Mineral Wool external wall insulation system, it’s not just the soundproofing capabilities that you reap the rewards of. Mineral Wool has excellent thermal insulating capabilities, is class A1 fire rated (the highest standard!) and is also very breathable. So, overall, this is a very healthy insulation material for buildings!
How is the insulation installed?
If you are new to the idea of EWI, it’s very simple!
- The Mineral Wool is doubly secured to the external wall using both our Premium Basecoat adhesive and metal pin mechanical fixings.
- Once the boards are secured to the wall, the Premium Basecoat is again applied on top and fibreglass mesh is embedded within the basecoat for extra crack resistance and tensile strength.
- Once the basecoat is dry, a render primer is painted on and left to dry.
- After this, a thin coat render is applied on top of the basecoat to create a decorative finish.
- The overall result is a higher performance building in many respects, and an aesthetically pleasing, brand new finish!
Premium Basecoat (EWI-225) – 25kgFrom £16.54