Expanding foam tape is a BBA approved weather resistant, sealing tape which will protect against the harshest of the elements. Expanding foam tape is quick and easy to apply and can be used as a weather tight seal in structural and expansion joints in walls and around door and window frames. Expanding foam tape is suitable for use on new or existing structures made of: concrete, masonry, metal, PVC-U, Acrylic or Timber.
When installed into a joint, the expanding foam tape will begin to expand and fill up the gap. It will smooth over minor imperfections, gaps and surface irregularities.
Using Expanding Foam Tape:
- Always read the instructions, take care when installing Expanding Foam Tape in cold temperatures
- Ensure that the surface and joints are clean and free of residue and debris as this may have an effect on the structural integrity of the seal – for example: dirt, mortar residue or contaminants.
- To achieve a weathertight seal when using Expanding Foam Tape on masonry, the level-changes in the joints must be as small as possible.
- Once unwound from the roll, the Expanding Foam Tape will begin to gradually expand. The rate at which the foam will expand is dependent upon the weather and temperature conditions – in colder conditions the foam tape will expand at a slower rate.
- At lower temperatures, the rate of foam expansion can be accelerated by gentle application of heat from an indirect heat source.
- Store the Expanding Foam Tape at room temperature, or during warm weather store in a cool place prior to use to slow down rate of expansion.
- Ensure that any damaged sections are immediately replaced.
- Expanding Foam Tape has a durability and service life of at least 20 years.
Applying Expanding Foam Tape:
- The leader strip is removed from the roll of Expanding Foam Tape and cut straight with a pair of scissors at the end of the tape.
- Approx 10-20cm of the protective release paper is peeled from the self-adhesive side of the Expanding Foam Tape.
- Allowing at least a 10mm overlap at the top of the joint, the self-adhesive side of the tape is then positioned 1 to 2mm back from the edge of the joint and pressed against the smoothest face of the joint using a suitable tool (e.g. a trowel). The Expanding Foam Tape can be held in position until it is fully expanded in situations where the surfaces are damp or in vertical applications.
- When starting at a blind end to the joint, ensure that the Expanding Foam Tape is over-sized in length sufficiently to allow for movement and to ensure that the joint is tight between the end of the tape and the substrate.
- Continuously peel off the protective release paper as the Expanding Foam Tape, taking care not to over-stretch the tape.
- When cutting the tape, ensure that 10mm per metre length is left to allow for recovery of any stretching that may have taken place.
Advantages of Expanding Foam Tape:
- Seals against wind, dust and driving rain
- Vapour diffusion permeable
- Strong Adhesive on one side to aid application
- Compatible with all known standard building materials
- Application in all building and construction areas are possible
- Provides thermal and acoustic insulation
- 10 year performance guarantee
- Permanently elastic with long term life expectancy
- Seal joints from 1mm up to 42mm